Recipe – Homemade Dairy Free Chocolate
I love chocolate! I always have, but when I started looking for healthier options, I came across this recipe and we now make it all the time. It’s dairy free, (vegan if you substitute the honey for maple syrup) and is a delicious healthy alternative to shop bought chocolate.
- 1 cup cacao butter
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup (If you’d like this a bit sweeter, you can use 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or other flavouring of your choice (mint extract, chilli etc)
- any toppings you would like to add – chopped nuts, dried fruit, coconut flakes etc
- Roughly chop the cacao butter and place in a double boiler or heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water – its important that no water gets into the mixture or the chocolate will spoil.
- While this is melting, prepare your toppings if you’re using any.
- Once the cacao butter has melted completely, remove from the heat and add the cacao powder and stir until combined.
- Add your sweetener and flavouring of choice and mix thoroughly.
Chopped cacao butter
Melting the cacao butter
Melted cacao butter
Add the cacao powder, honey and flavouring
Now comes the fun bit, it’s up to you to form the chocolate in any way you like! Once you have been creative, put the chocolate in the fridge until its set. For best results, store in an air tight container in the fridge.
This time, I tried out chocolate disks topped with nuts that I will be giving as gifts this Christmas (if there are any left!)
I also made my favourite, a chocolate, fruit and nut brittle. This is basically a whole load of chopped fruit and nuts laid in a greased or lined dish and then covered in the melted chocolate. Once its set, I just break it up into pieces and eat! Great healthy snack!
Finally, as it’s Christmas, I made some Christmas shapes from a silicone mould I bought last year.
To make all of the above, I used 2 x the ingredients listed as I was making them for gifts, however the quantities above still make plenty!
I hope you enjoy making these for yourself!