Gluten Free Pizza Bases
Foodie Friday Recipe time! This one is not only for people seeking Gluten Free recipes, but anyone who loves Pizza, as I think this is as good as any other pizza base I’ve made!
I found this recipe on the Dove’s Farm website, they have plenty more good recipes on there too, but I wanted to share this one today! I’ve modified this slightly but found it to be a quick and easy recipe to whip up in a hurry when your GF child begs you for a pizza just before lunchtime!
- 250g Gluten Free White or Brown Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Quick Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150ml Milk (or Milk alternative, I use almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp Vinegar (I use ACV)
- 2 tbsp Oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 Egg
- Pre heat oven to 180
- Mix together the flour, yeast, salt and sugar
- In another bowl, beat together the milk, vinegar and egg
- Add the flour, mix and stir to form a sticky dough
- Continue mixing, adding in the oil
- Knead the dough and roll it into a sticky ball
- Separate the dough into 2 equal portions
- Flatten or roll out into a rectangle or circle
- Place on an oiled baking tray
- Cook for a few minutes without toppings until slightly firm. I found this helps ensure the middle is cooked through
- Remove from oven, spread with tomato puree and any other toppings of your choice.
- Return to oven for 10-15 minutes
The last time I tried this, I happened to used a large egg, and ended up needing more flour as it was quite runny. Just add in as much extra flour as you need to make it a slightly sticky dough that you can then knead.
Here I’ve topped with olives, tomatoes, Parma ham, mushrooms and red peppers. It has half covered in goats cheese and the other in cheddar.
If you don’t need both bases at the same time, they freeze really well, just place on a plate in the freezer until frozen then remove from plate and wrap in foil. Defrost before use.